The Bishop’s Block, a designated heritage property, was built circa 1829. It is considered one of the oldest buildings left in Toronto’s downtown core. Originally consisting of five upscale Georgian row houses, the Block housed the Adelaide Hotel in the early 20th century and more recently the popular Pretzel Bell Tavern. By 2005 the building had been abandoned and had reached an advanced state of decay.
ERA was retained by Westbank Developments Ltd. to document the building and oversee its conservation, including the dismantling and reconstruction of the building’s two principal facades with James K.M. Cheng Architects and Hariri Pontarini Architects as part of the new Shangri La Hotel.